A smaller house, a cabin or even a tiny home offer many advantages over large McMansions and there are several reasons why you will actually be happier in a smaller home.
1. Cozy and Intimate – Smaller homes have smaller rooms which provides each room, as well as the entire house, a feeling of coziness and intimacy that larger homes simply don’t have.
2. Less Expensive – Smaller homes are less expensive to purchase and live in. You will spend less on electricity, heating and cooling costs, maintenance expenses, even water. In addition, you will also spend less on decorations, furniture, and many of the things (often quite unnecessary) people tend to accumulate constantly because of large spaces and storage areas.
3. Less Debt And Less Risk – Many on-line calculators will help you determine “how large a house you can afford.” Their formulas are based on net income, savings, current debt, and monthly mortgage payments. Which makes sense, however, they are also based on the premise that we should spend “28% of our net income on our monthly mortgage payments.” But if we can be more financially stable and happier by only spending 15% or even 10%, then why would we ever choose to spend 28?
4. More Energy Efficient – Smaller homes are more energy efficient because they have less space to heat and cool, so your costs will go down.
5. Less Cleaning and Maintenance Required – Fewer and smaller rooms means less time spent on cleaning and home maintenance. This will also increase your free time that you can spend on things you love.
6. Less Environmental Impact – A smaller home requires less resources to build and less resources to maintain. Even less waste during construction, less harmful substances eliminated to the atmosphere as a result of less heating and cooling byproducts.
7. Encourages Family Time – In a smaller home you will have more social interaction among the members of the family. That translates to tighter family bonding and ties. In addition, more time spent together doing fun things, or even simple conversations, will result in a happier, less stressful life (proven by research).
8. Bigger Market To Sell – A smaller, less expensive house is affordable to a larger percentage of the population than a large, more expensive one.